What Browser Are You Using and Why?

Forums General Discussion What Browser Are You Using and Why?

Participant
    none
    Hi folks,

I did not see a topic for this yet and it is normally one that generates a lot of discussion.  So as the topic states, what browser are you using and why?

I was a die hard Firefox guy right from the beginning.  Suffered with a lot of the early drama, high ram utilization etc but it was so customizable!  I guess for me I had a colleague turn me onto Google Chrome around 2013 and have stuck with it ever since.  I tried it in the early days and despised it but it just felt more solid during this timeframe (at least for me).

However have started to think back to my early days of IT and privacy. I know right? Privacy. Something we don’t have much of these days and wanted to come back to Firefox.  Most of my knowledge of tweaking Firefox is from about 10 years ago, and a lot has changed since then.  I’ve been using it at home and for the most part it is ok.  However I still prefer the speed and smoothness of Chrome.  Yes I know, Google spies on us all but what is a guy to do?

I still believe Google Chrome is more secure than Firefox, well at least out of the box.  I know you can throw a ton of add-ons to Firefox and make about:config tweaks to your heart’s content, but who has time for all that?  I used to, but not so much anymore.

So what do my fellow VoodooShield forum members use as their default browser?  Why?

Cheers!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Replies
    gorblimey
    Participant
    none
    I started personal computing just after Mosaic ceased to be A Thing 😛

So I tried them all, IE3 🙁 Netscape 3 🙂 IE4 🙂 Netscape 4 :@ Firefox :@ (and I thought Netscape had lost the plot!) FF didn’t seem to know what a plot was 😛 I did not believe a browser could be so incompetent! We were using Win95 and W98 at the time.

I tried several browsers on my own PC, Opera 🙂 various QTWeb offerings 🙁 more IE 🙂 and then I saw K-Meleon 🙂

Fast Forward (I wish FF could have done that) to this century, I did try various flavours of Chrome… Oh dear… It is a QTWeb engine, with all the worst bits of Netscape and FF, and floated like a lead balloon in a thunderstorm. Opera has gone to the dark side as well…

Moving through W2K Pro to Win7 x64, the good news is I cannot have M$ Edge. I mean, seriously, why would I want anothe QTWeb engine gumming up my pristine Core i5 2400MHz box?

So currently I have KM76.2_Goanna (yes, Gecko has become unmanageable again, but Moonchild is a genius 🙂 ) with Pale Moon and IE11 as backups.

So what’s K-Meleon like? Well, have you ever tried to print on A4 paper from FF? You can with KM! KM is built on Windows APIs for almost everything, so it integrates well and runs faster than IE 😛 And KM recognises M$ Favorites, Opera Hotlist and Netsape Bookmarks. When did your fave browser sync Favorites with IE last? And roytam1 is working on SOCKS5 proxy with auth and upgrading from Goanna3 to Goanna4…

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by gorblimey.

Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step on the path to true panic. [Florence Ambrose, "Freefall"]
    Trooper
    Participant
    none
    I remember K-Meleon.  Guess I did not go back to the early days of text based browsers etc, just within the last 20 years or so.  IE, ugh never liked that browser but K-Meleon yes!  Used to love it, did not know it was still around thanks!

Opera has definitely gone to the dark side.  There is always Brave and Vivaldi as well but meh.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by Trooper.
    Gandalf
    Participant
    NL
    I’m using the not officially released chromium based Edge as my daily browser.

Really liking what MS have done with it.

When released no point in adding 3rd party browsers IMO.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.