VoodooShield is OVERKILL with your setup!!!

Forums VoodooShield Support Forum General VoodooShield Discussions VoodooShield is OVERKILL with your setup!!!

Keymaster
    US
    Everywhere you turn on security forums, moderators and VS haters (mainly competitors or agents of competitors) insist that VS is overkill when combined with pretty much every single security setup.

VS was built and designed to complement existing security products.  So their incorrect assumption is basically one of two things.

1.  Either they do not understand how VS works

2.  They do not understand cybersecurity and dynamic levels of protection

It is certainly the highest of compliments that they believe VS is bad ass enough to stand on its own, but this is not their intention.  They are upset that word is getting out about VS and is being considered for major contracts.

If your current security setup does not automatically lock your computer when it is at risk, then VS simply is not overkill.  If your current security setup does automatically lock the computer when it is at risk without VS, please let me know ;).

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Replies
    Triple Helix
    Participant
    CA
    There is no such thing, but some can go overboard!

I go by (KISS) keep it simple stupid!

I use VS as my first line of defence.

I use WSA as my AV as my second line of defence.

Then I have a Lifetime Sub to Glasswire Elite.

Nothing more or less. And as I said in many other places I have never been infected by accident ever because I use that thing between my ears. Yes I have ran some malware just to see what happens years ago (XP Days) but that’s it. Yes I do have a couple on on-demand scanners but I never need them….

TH

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Triple Helix.
    Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security - VoodooShield Pro - Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete - Glasswire Elite
    Dan
    Keymaster
    US
    I totally agree TH, some security enthusiast go overboard, especially when they first start checking out all of the cool new security products to see what fits their needs the best.

But when a community leader dispenses advice that needlessly puts the user at risk and leaves them vulnerable, in an attempt to forward their own agenda, you quickly realize why the security community is a mere shadow of its former self.

Triple Helix
    Participant
    CA
    So very true Dan!
    Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security - VoodooShield Pro - Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete - Glasswire Elite
    GrDukeMalden
    Participant
    US
    I’m of the mindset that nothing is infallible. So if one whitelisting application like VS works great, adding on another whitelisting application like SecureAPlus and/or comodo firewall (Or just add comodo I.S.) would make that setup even better.

After all, comodo was revealed in…certain leaks that I won’t specifically name here…as a “colossal pain in the ass” by…an agency…that was trying to subvert its protection on a windows computer.

But you may or may not have heard of the DoubleAgent ransomware that hijacks your antivirus through a DLL injection into its processes, comodo was on that list of products that were vulnerable to it. (it was done through the application verifier)

So having voodooshield along with comodo makes for a damn near perfect setup. Especially now that VS can block any unknown DLLs from loading into memory, no matter what process tries to inject them.

After some proof reading, I’m sorry for the rambling.

|VPN| VoodooShield(Paid)| SecureAPlus(Paid : Essentials)| ComodoFW(Free)| HitmanPro.Alert!(Paid)| Sandboxie| I fiddle with whitelisting software.
    Dan
    Keymaster
    US
    I completely agree that nothing is infallible and there are some amazing combos that people come up with.  I do think it is important to be sure that they do not conflict with each other, which is usually pretty obvious and uncommon.  But yeah, if 2 or more layers of protection work well together and the user is happy with the setup, then by all means that is better than the alternative of not being adequately protected.

Not to pick on any specific security forum or youtuber, but if someone had a genuine interest in helping to protect people from becoming infected, the absolute last thing they should ever do is to persuade them to significantly reduce their security posture.  That is not unlike a doctor handing you a 12 pack, a carton of cigarettes and plane tickets to Vegas.  Most users are indifferent enough to cybersecurity, and the last thing we need is for the community leaders to encourage them to let their guard down even further… especially when they happen to LOVE the software they are running.

But as they say, everyone has an agenda, and everyone has a price.

GrDukeMalden
    Participant
    US
    I think I might know the youtuber you’re talking about. He made a video about his opinion about whitelisting security not being good. And even used VoodooShield as an example.

When he talked about SecureAPlus, I was with him most of the way because SOME of the things on a prompt from SAP can be a little vague.

But when he talked about voodooshield, which gives alerts that are much easier for a normal user to understand, that’s where he lost me.

|VPN| VoodooShield(Paid)| SecureAPlus(Paid : Essentials)| ComodoFW(Free)| HitmanPro.Alert!(Paid)| Sandboxie| I fiddle with whitelisting software.
    Dan
    Keymaster
    US
    Yeah, I think I know what video you are referring to, and in all fairness, Leo did say “Now I like this approach a little bit better.”  Having said that, Leo is quite young and changes his mind quite often as he gains experience.

In the end, the only thing that matters is the product.  Some people say that VS is not well suited for computer novices, not realizing that VS has a 6 digit user base and is growing.  Rapidly.  Almost every single day I see users who admit that they are completely computer illiterate (like they do not even know how to copy and paste), but yet they have zero issues with VS.

Imagine this for a moment.  When we first released VS, it was rough around the edges, was extremely feature limited and was in serious need of polishing.  In spite of this, most or all of our small group of users understood my vision of a user-friendly toggling computer lock, and further understood that it had the potential to change the industry.

Now imagine if these same users would have initially experienced VS in its current form, all polished and ready for market.  This is exactly what security people new to VS initially experience.  They are “floored”, “blown away”, “amazed”, etc. when they first experience VS.

Once you understand this, you will understand why VS is growing so fast.

BTW, I encourage people to try all of the deny-by-default products and see which one they like best and fits their needs.  It is much more important to me that they are adequately protected (so that the bad guys lose), then to worry about losing 1 or 2 VS users every couple of weeks, especially when we are adding 500x + that in new users.  Some deny-by-default enthusiasts prefer to lock the computer fulltime, some people prefer a toggling computer lock with a tiny, customized whitelist.  As I have said before, I actually use a competitor’s product on 2 of our machines because it fits the use case.  I could just as easily use VS, but the other reason I did so is because they borrowed my anti-exploit mechanism, so I thought it would be funny to make it a fair trade ;).

It is probably wise to only run one deny-by-default product at a time, and combo it with Windows Defender or some other AV, unless you do the kind of configuring you guys have been talking about, then it is super cool.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.