VoodooShield 5.70

Forums VoodooShield Support Forum VoodooShield Releases VoodooShield 5.70

Keymaster
    US
    Hey Guys, VoodooForums is not working well at all.  It is built on wordpress / bbpress and I have read that these types of issues are typical with bbpress.

So I updated the entire site and started this new topic to see if it is working better.  If not, we will either have to chose another platform, or maybe since most of the development and debugging for VS is finished, we figure out another way to communicate.

BTW, I just checked my PM’s and it seems as though I missed a lot of PM’s the last 5 months, sorry about that.  I always forget to check my PM’s anyway, so it is best to email me at support at voodooshield.com.

Anyway, let’s try this thread and see how it does now that everything is updated.

Thank you guys!

Viewing 15 replies - 91 through 105 (of 411 total)
  • Replies
    Baldrick
    Participant
    none
    Hi Dan,

I too have had the 5.97a beta running since release and likewise…can say that this is with no issues.

Cheers, Baldrick

Tarnak
    Participant
    I have noticed that CPU usage in 5.97a beta keeps fluctuating from low 2% to 17%, i.e. unstable it seems  to me.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Tarnak.
    Triple Helix
    Participant
    CA
    All good here Tarnak! VS must be checking your other many security software’s??

Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security - VoodooShield Pro - Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete - Glasswire Elite
    Dan
    Keymaster
    US

Tarnak: I have noticed that CPU usage in 5.97a beta keeps fluctuating from low 2% to 17%, i.e. unstable it seems  to me.

TH was close ;). Let me guess… the peak happens exactly every 5 seconds? This is a result of the new feature that auto detects apps that connect to the internet, and I am still optimizing it to capture as many apps as possible while limiting cpu utilization as much as possible. I am shocked that your baseline cpu utilization is 2% and that it peaks at 17%. You must have an older cpu, or must be still running way too many apps ;).

Thank you guys for letting me know that VS 6 is doing well. I am sooooooooooo excited for you guys to see the next version, and it will be ready soon, hopefully before the weekend. Basically, you know how VS’s prompts have always been quite confusing? And as you guys know, I have been talking about replacing VT with WLC for quite sometime, mainly because WLC just makes a heck of a lot more sense to be combined with VS than VT. VT worked great with VS when signatures were significant and useful. It was also great with VS for a couple of years there when the ML/Ai engines did the heavy lifting, but now that malcoders are having their way with them, we needed to find a better way. And that was how over a year ago I came up with the idea for WLC. I somehow realized… VT is looking for malicious files. VS is much more concerned with clean files, and should be looking for clean files. Then one thing led to another, and WLC turned out amazing. So it all makes sense that VS works so incredibly well with WLC… it’s because WLC was inspired by VS.

So I always knew that VS and WLC would work incredibly well together (when implementing the way I did over the last few weeks), but I had no idea that it would work this well. I’m telling you… not only are the prompts correct (and make sense to the end user), but the user recommendations are spot on, and we no long have to worry about zero days that are missed from all 70+ engines, and a few days (or months) later discovered to be malware.

I could go on about this forever, simply because there are so many other benefits as well. My only regret is that I did not finalize this code sooner… although I probably could not have since WLC is so new. I am just happy it turned out as it did… it FAR exceeded my expectations. And keep in mind, this is just the first version… we will refine it over the next few months.

In the interest of full disclosure… VT either has already disabled our API, or they are going to. Other security companies have been whining for years about how VS uses VT, even though they have MUCH better access to the data, and are much better funded.  I guess they are tired of hearing VS’s name whenever a high profile target is hit, and they try to make a sales call.  Maybe they should not have promised that their networks were protected, when they really were not.

Anyway, I have been 100% upfront and honest about how VS uses VT… it is literally documented in our actual software, and have posted VS’s use of VT multiple times.

I just think it is funny that they conveniently forgot about this…

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cybersecurity-sharing-virustotal-anal-idUSKCN0XY0R4

Not that it really matters. Once you see the new VS / WLC integration, you will see what I mean.

Tarnak
    Participant

Dan:

Tarnak: I have noticed that CPU usage in 5.97a beta keeps fluctuating from low 2% to 17%, i.e. unstable it seems  to me.

TH was close ;).

Let me guess… the peak happens exactly every 5 seconds? This is a result of the new feature that auto detects apps that connect to the internet, and I am still optimizing it to capture as many apps as possible while limiting cpu utilization as much as possible. I am shocked that your baseline cpu utilization is 2% and that it peaks at 17%. [COLOR=blue] You must have an older cpu, or must be still running way too many apps[/COLOR] ;).

Surely, it is not old: “Microsoft Surface Book Core i5 6200u 8GB RAM 256GB SSD …” 🙂  It is a 6th Gen chip. I don’t do any gaming on the laptop.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Tarnak.
    bellgamin
    Participant
    US
    I have been running my computer for over 9 hours, with VS5.97abeta installed & active. VS’s cumulative CPU time during the >9 hour period is not quite 45 seconds — a mere droplet in the ocean.

5.97abeta is running straight & smooth with a following wind. She is YAR (agile, quick, user friendly)!

HempOil
    Participant
    CA
    I checked Task Manager and I can see the VoodooShield.exe process jump up the CPU utilization-sorted list about every 5 seconds. It uses between 2-5% each time. I have a Sandy Bridge generation Core i7 processor. I don’t tend to run a lot of apps simultaneously.
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 20H2, build 19042.630 (hyper-threading disabled).
    Comodo Firewall 12.2.2.7062.
    Microsoft Defender Antivirus.
    HMP.A 3.8.8 Build 889RC & HMP 3.8.20 b314 (64-bit).
    VoodooShield 6.07.
    Google Chrome 87.0.4280.88 (Official Build) (64-bit) run in Comodo sandbox.
    Tarnak
    Participant

Tarnak:

Dan:

TH was close ;).

Let me guess… the peak happens exactly every 5 seconds? This is a result of the new feature that auto detects apps that connect to the internet, and I am still optimizing it to capture as many apps as possible while limiting cpu utilization as much as possible. I am shocked that your baseline cpu utilization is 2% and that it peaks at 17%. [COLOR=blue] You must have an older cpu, or must be still running way too many apps[/COLOR] ;).

Surely, it is not old: “Microsoft Surface Book Core i5 6200u 8GB RAM 256GB SSD …” 🙂  It is a 6th Gen chip. I don’t do any gaming on the laptop.

Just a little  more info about total CPU time for VS:

VecchioScarpone
    Participant
    AU
    CPU usage

"Today is yesterday's future - Carpe diem"

Tarnak
    Participant

VecchioScarpone: CPU usage

Nothing wrong with those CPU figures. 🙂

VecchioScarpone
    Participant
    AU
    @Tarnak

Yes nothing wrong. Reading fluctuate constantly averaging 0.6%. Occasionally, very very occasionally giving up to 27.0% for a second or two.

"Today is yesterday's future - Carpe diem"

Tarnak
    Participant
    After a reboot, so much better, and back to normal.

Dan
    Keymaster
    US
    Hey Guys, VS 6.0 is almost ready, here is the latest.  As you will see, there are quite a few changes, and tons of changes under the hood… a lot more than last time.  I will be shocked if we do not have a couple of small bugs.

VT is no longer integrated into VS, but as you will see, VS works MUCH better with WLC.  For now, the initial VoodooAi results are displayed while the WLC scan is running.  Please let me know if you guys think we should keep this the way it is, or we can just wait until the WLC verdict is returned, then display the result.  There is a link for a second opinion VT, and I actually kinda like it better because even though it opens in a web browser, you get to see all of the engines and the other file insight.  We were not allowed to display the specific engines when using the API, although it would have been super simple to add.  VT is still great and I appreciate everything they have done for us, and I knew they would be cutting us off sooner than later.  It just would have been a lot more professional if they would have given me at least some notice.  But like I was saying, we no longer have to worry about the samples with massive dwell times.  The VT results that we see when a new sample is analyzed are pretty much a quick and dirty scan, so they are not always the most accurate.  It is not until a few days or weeks later that some engine finds something malicious in a file, then other engines figure out the sample is malicious as well.

VS 5.98 beta
    https://voodooshield.com/Download/InstallVoodooShield598beta.exe
    SHA-256: 196e72eea0667511a8de335b23bdd220244fc93bab99d06ae6707e8ed7d4f61b

I know I have a few emails and posts to catch up on… I will do that asap, but for now I really need to step away from the computer.

Thank you guys, have a great weekend!

BTW, the free version now has quite a few more features than it did before, and no nag screen ;).

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Dan.
    Tarnak
    Participant
    Just installed v5.98 beta over the top.  Just wondering about those “Command Lines”,  which are becoming more numerous.   Dan, can I delete these without adverse consequences?

GrDukeMalden
    Participant
    US
    I tired to upload something to VS’s cuckoo sandbox. the page wouldn’t connect and I couldn’t get a result. Is something going on with that?
    |VPN(paid)| VoodooShield(Paid)| Comodo FW(Free)| SandboxiePlus, By Xanasoft| HitManPro.ALERT!(Paid)|
Viewing 15 replies - 91 through 105 (of 411 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.