VoodooShield 5.70

Forums VoodooShield Support Forum VoodooShield Releases VoodooShield 5.70

Keymaster
    US
    Hey Guys, VoodooForums is not working well at all.  It is built on wordpress / bbpress and I have read that these types of issues are typical with bbpress.

So I updated the entire site and started this new topic to see if it is working better.  If not, we will either have to chose another platform, or maybe since most of the development and debugging for VS is finished, we figure out another way to communicate.

BTW, I just checked my PM’s and it seems as though I missed a lot of PM’s the last 5 months, sorry about that.  I always forget to check my PM’s anyway, so it is best to email me at support at voodooshield.com.

Anyway, let’s try this thread and see how it does now that everything is updated.

Thank you guys!

Viewing 15 replies - 181 through 195 (of 234 total)
  • Replies
    Dan
    Keymaster
    US
    Thank you guys, I appreciate that!
    Dan
    Keymaster
    US

Tarnak:

Dan:

Yeah, dismhost can be very tricky to handle properly.  Do you remember the developer named Vlad that worked on VS for 6-8 months or so several years ago?  He came up with a unique way to deal with dismhost properly and safely, then a year or so after I took his idea one step further.  But to make a long story short, VS should handle dismhost properly and safely, but if you guys ever see anything odd, please let me know, thank you!

So, tricky that the author of this article – https://www.itechguides.com/dism-host-servicing-process-dismhost-exe-malware/ , i.e. takes the view that it is most likely to be malware.
    <h2>”Introduction”</h2>
    “There are conflicting information about Dism Host Servicing Process (DismHost.exe). Some say it is a genuine Windows process, others say it is a malware.”

“There are some claims that DismHost.exe is related to cleanmgr.exe. Others say, it is related to DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management). From my experience and research, there is not evidence to support these claims.”

I knew that from my search/research that it wasn’t a case of [a] malware process going on with my system.

There is definitely a legitimate clean Windows process known as DismHost.exe, and there are both 32 and 64 bit versions.  The problem is they really do look very much malware like, are almost always in common malware locations, can be exploited to launch malware, and a lot of times malware is named DismHost.exe… so it has A LOT of issues ;).  The other issue is that DismHost is updated every 6 or so months, so the hash changes.  But the way VS handles DismHost is pretty cool… I would go into details, but well, you know ;).

Dan
    Keymaster
    US

khanyash: I like software with in-house tech. In the past, I mentioned to Dan that VoodooShield with VAi is effective & doesn’t need VT. WLC made VS stronger. I am happy to see the removal of VT; it’s an on-demand scanner now.

VS 6 fresh install here; it’s working well on Win 10.

I totally agree… it is SOOOO much better the way it is now with WLC and VoodooAi being the main file insights, and VT still being available.  As TH mentioned, the VT results are just the quick and dirty scans, so they are not always the most accurate.  From what I have seen, it takes a week or so for the VT results to be updated properly so that they are the final result, and not the quick and dirty.

The goal all along was to find the “point on the curve” where VS’s file insight would identify as many safe files as it could, with a number approaching zero for the false positives.  And I believe we have achieved that, and more.

But besides that, WLC just makes a hell of a lot more sense for VS than anything else does… WLC was designed specifically for VS and with VS in mind.

Triple Helix
    Participant
    CA
    Awesome work @Dan wouldn’t be without VoodooShield and you keep making it better and as always simple to use!

Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security - VoodooShield Pro - Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete - Glasswire Elite
    Tarnak
    Participant
    I am, also, a long time beta tester of Process Lasso.

But, when I got back into testing VS back at the end of August, the ProBalance Insights  feature showed a ‘Restraint Count ‘ of  “3006“. and I had [then] stopped. It has  taken until today [when last checked], for my Opera browser, to overtake VS in the last restraint count, which [as] can be seen from the attached screenshot, is  “3112“.

Tarnak
    Participant
    Not VS’s fault, but I hate it that while I was sleeping, I wake to find that, Chrome browser which I rarely use has updated itself.

Triple Helix
    Participant
    CA
    @Tarnak oh well and if it wasn’t safe then VS would of Blocked it! If you don’t use it uninstall…………..

Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security - VoodooShield Pro - Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete - Glasswire Elite
    Baldrick
    Participant
    none
    Hi Dan

Quick question? Are you planning any time soon to bring back the option to create a rule on the fly, i.e., from a popup? I remember that you removed it in a recent beta but said it might make a return? I for one would like it to return as I am suffering from what I am deeming to be a number of FPs which would normally be taken care by the feature.

Also, I am getting a small number of CMD lines being repeatedly flagged despite my allowing them, and I am wondering if it would make sense to give the option to flag FPs here, as when I check they are indeed, as far as I am concerned, FPs.

No rush to reply…just some thoughts I have been mulling ovewr.

Cheers, Balders

Dan
    Keymaster
    US
    Hey Baldrick,

I put the rules option back in the user prompt and made some other small tweaks to the rules.  I have not tested it extensively, but it should be pretty close.  But if you find anything odd with the rules please let me know.

About the cmd blocks… can you please email them to me and I will take a look to figure out what we need to do?

VS 6.01 beta
    https://voodooshield.com/Download/InstallVoodooShield601beta.exe
    SHA-256: 67fca33c0e94e4d2d07dac1219b35da9acc59cd3b70a9d3f9f121e166941c250

Thank you guys!

boredog
    Participant
    none
    using 6.0 i get a popup asking to allow or block powershell. i did not get a screenshot of the popup but get get both the left and right shots. i clicked block.

Dan
    Keymaster
    US

boredog: using 6.0 i get a popup asking to allow or block powershell. i did not get a screenshot of the popup but get get both the left and right shots. i clicked block.

Thank you… I am almost finished building the app that will allow me to quickly and easily add blocked items to the CommandLineCloud and once I am finished, it will be super easy to add items like these so they are no longer blocked.

Dan
    Keymaster
    US
    Hey Guys, here is 6.02 beta.  This will probably be the last version for a while because I am out of ideas for now and it looks like every bug has been fixed.

This version fixes the issue where every 5 seconds VS has a small cpu utilization spike… the VS cpu utilization should now be close to zero once it fully loads.  Also, for some reason I forgot to have VS save the “Apps that connect to the internet” under the Web Apps tab in settings, but this is fixed now.

VS 6.02 beta
    https://voodooshield.com/Download/InstallVoodooShield602beta.exe
    SHA-256: 4fd1c18a9d3449217a37649142bb753f63df1dd5d2a0c6c79dd78a956fc49b0c

So I think we are good to go for now, thanks again for all of your help!

Have a great weekend!

boredog
    Participant
    none
    I installed version 6.02. the cloud was scanning two hard disk sentinel files for along time, so i clicked the X to stop and VS hung. Had to close VS and restart it again.
    khanyash
    Participant
    none
    If “Rules” is disabled, does the rules option appear in the user prompt?
    Dan
    Keymaster
    US

boredog: I installed version 6.02. the cloud was scanning two hard disk sentinel files for along time, so i clicked the X to stop and VS hung. Had to close VS and restart it again.

Hmmm, this seems to be a common problem, it should be an easy fix.  Do you mean you clicked the X in the top right of the user prompt?  Thank you!

Viewing 15 replies - 181 through 195 (of 234 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.