VoodooShield 5.70

Forums VoodooShield Support Forum VoodooShield Releases VoodooShield 5.70

Keymaster
    US
    Hey Guys, VoodooForums is not working well at all.  It is built on wordpress / bbpress and I have read that these types of issues are typical with bbpress.

So I updated the entire site and started this new topic to see if it is working better.  If not, we will either have to chose another platform, or maybe since most of the development and debugging for VS is finished, we figure out another way to communicate.

BTW, I just checked my PM’s and it seems as though I missed a lot of PM’s the last 5 months, sorry about that.  I always forget to check my PM’s anyway, so it is best to email me at support at voodooshield.com.

Anyway, let’s try this thread and see how it does now that everything is updated.

Thank you guys!

Viewing 15 replies - 166 through 180 (of 234 total)
  • Replies
    Dan
    Keymaster
    US

smf61: Just to confirm the right click crash I reported is fixed in 5.99.  Thanks, all looks good.

Thank you for letting me know!  There was also a somewhat similar bug in the local sandbox, it is fixed in this version as well.

Triple Helix
    Participant
    CA

Interesting thread ;).  Once upon a time when signatures were relevant, VirusTotal worked pretty well with VS and VoodooAi, but this is simply no longer the case.  Signatures are becoming less and less relevant by the day, which is why AV’s are starting to rely more on ML/Ai, behavior blocking and heuristics.

I distinctly remember when I came up with the idea for WLC over a year ago.  I was thinking… why is VS even concerned with detecting malicious files anyway?  The old adage “you can’t prove a negative” demonstrates why it makes a lot more sense for VS to be looking for safe files as opposed to looking for malicious files.  I always figured the WLC / VoodooAi / VS integration would work really well, and I have to say, it far exceeded my expectations.

@Bellgamin
    @Tarnak Also the AV engines on VT are not the full engines of the said AV’s and only a small part is being used.

https://www.webroot.com/blog/2016/02/09/some-notes-on-virustotal/

Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security - VoodooShield Pro - Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete - Glasswire Elite
    Triple Helix
    Participant
    CA
    More info about VT from Malwarebytes: https://blog.malwarebytes.com/researchers-corner/2019/07/caution-misuse-of-security-tools-can-turn-against-you/

Case 2: API usage

The use of VirusTotal API can also be dangerous. Bugs in the code or logic can easily cause a mass upload of private files. This is a danger whether you are building your own tools or using tools like WINJA, which automate submission of files to VT. The only recommendation here is to make sure the tools you are using are reputable or you have done your own independent code audits to make sure no bugs may lead to data leakage.

When it comes to using other reputable security tools, it is wise to read over all of the documentation and make sure you understand how and when the given tool will incorporate VT.

Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security - VoodooShield Pro - Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete - Glasswire Elite
    Tarnak
    Participant
    `23/09/2020 2:11 AM Auto Allowed [COLOR=blue]dismhost.exe[/COLOR] c:\users\owner\appdata\local\temp\ea03a613-9f01-48f9-8922-2450e6e970f8\dismhost.exe AE9C1AE54763822EEC42474983D8B635116C8452 5108587a0713975bbd79a0e1a56b0dd0d0e63d89d7b681d1e0bf7979e21080b0 c:\users\owner\appdata\local\temp\ea03a613-9f01-48f9-8922-2450e6e970f8\dismhost.exe {c39b8cdf-0902-4a28-b157-ae3f11c3da74} 136712 cleanmgr.exe c:\windows\system32\cleanmgr.exe Owner

Every now and then, I see [COLOR=blue]dismhost.exe[/COLOR] show up in the user logs, and being the curious type, I [just] have to go looking for more info.

In my search I came across this [URL=https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/dismhost-exe-and-software-restriction-policy.397320/]post[/URL] in Wilders’ forums back in October 2017. All very interesting, but over my head, just the same.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by Tarnak.
    • This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by Tarnak. Reason: Added image
    Baldrick
    Participant
    none

smf61: Just to confirm the right click crash I reported is fixed in 5.99.  Thanks, all looks good.

Interesting that you should  say so smf61…I have just checked also and the ‘variant’ that I found appears to be also fixed by the latest release.

Tarnak
    Participant
    Referencing my previous post, I notice a snapshot was taken at the same time, i.e 2.11 am…

Dan
    Keymaster
    US

Tarnak: `23/09/2020 2:11 AM Auto Allowed [COLOR=blue]dismhost.exe[/COLOR] c:\users\owner\appdata\local\temp\ea03a613-9f01-48f9-8922-2450e6e970f8\dismhost.exe AE9C1AE54763822EEC42474983D8B635116C8452 5108587a0713975bbd79a0e1a56b0dd0d0e63d89d7b681d1e0bf7979e21080b0 c:\users\owner\appdata\local\temp\ea03a613-9f01-48f9-8922-2450e6e970f8\dismhost.exe {c39b8cdf-0902-4a28-b157-ae3f11c3da74} 136712 cleanmgr.exe c:\windows\system32\cleanmgr.exe Owner

Every now and then, I see [COLOR=blue]dismhost.exe[/COLOR] show up in the user logs, and being the curious type, I [just] have to go looking for more info.

In my search I came across this [URL=https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/dismhost-exe-and-software-restriction-policy.397320/]post[/URL] in Wilders’ forums back in October 2017. All very interesting, but over my head, just the same.

Yeah, dismhost can be very tricky to handle properly.  Do you remember the developer named Vlad that worked on VS for 6-8 months or so several years ago?  He came up with a unique way to deal with dismhost properly and safely, then a year or so after I took his idea one step further.  But to make a long story short, VS should handle dismhost properly and safely, but if you guys ever see anything odd, please let me know, thank you!

Dan
    Keymaster
    US

Baldrick:

Interesting that you should  say so smf61…I have just checked also and the ‘variant’ that I found appears to be also fixed by the latest release.

Very cool, thank you for letting me know Baldrick!

Dan
    Keymaster
    US
    Hey guys, we just released VS 6.0 to the public, thank you for all of your help, I really appreciate it!
    Mr.GumP
    Participant
    none
    installed 6.0 over the top and working great

like buttah

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Mr.GumP.
    Krusty
    Participant
    AU
    Hey Dan,

Thanks for your hard work mate.  Very nice release.

I decided on a clean install this time.  On checking my account, one of my machines had two entries for some reason.  Deleted all entries in anticipation of the clean installs.  I’ll have to keep an eye on that but not too worried about it.

You can get a little rest now hopefully.  😉

Cheers,
    Dave

khanyash
    Participant
    none
    I like software with in-house tech. In the past, I mentioned to Dan that VoodooShield with VAi is effective & doesn’t need VT. WLC made VS stronger. I am happy to see the removal of VT; it’s an on-demand scanner now.

VS 6 fresh install here; it’s working well on Win 10.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by khanyash.
    VecchioScarpone
    Participant
    AU
    Dan, congratulations.

Installed 6.0 over the top, smooth as…

"Today is yesterday's future - Carpe diem"

Tarnak
    Participant

Dan:

Yeah, dismhost can be very tricky to handle properly.  Do you remember the developer named Vlad that worked on VS for 6-8 months or so several years ago?  He came up with a unique way to deal with dismhost properly and safely, then a year or so after I took his idea one step further.  But to make a long story short, VS should handle dismhost properly and safely, but if you guys ever see anything odd, please let me know, thank you!

So, tricky that the author of this article – https://www.itechguides.com/dism-host-servicing-process-dismhost-exe-malware/ , i.e. takes the view that it is most likely to be malware.
    <h2>”Introduction”</h2>
    “There are conflicting information about Dism Host Servicing Process (DismHost.exe). Some say it is a genuine Windows process, others say it is a malware.”

“There are some claims that DismHost.exe is related to cleanmgr.exe. Others say, it is related to DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management). From my experience and research, there is not evidence to support these claims.”

I knew that from my search/research that it wasn’t a case of [a] malware process going on with my system.

Tarnak
    Participant
    I had so much trouble with my first attempt to post the reply above, as  per the  screenshot, below.

Viewing 15 replies - 166 through 180 (of 234 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.