VoodooShield 5.50

Forums VoodooShield Support Forum VoodooShield Releases VoodooShield 5.50

Viewing 15 replies - 826 through 840 (of 952 total)
  • Replies
    Dan
    Keymaster
    US
    @BVLon,

As everyone already knows, I always welcome every suggestion to make VS better (this is how we got to where we are today), so I am excited to see what you recommend!

Not to diminish your street cred or anything, but please google a little more about deny-by-default tech… it will save everyone a lot of time.

https://malwaretips.com/threads/comodo-internet-security-or-lack-of-such.98732/post-862579

Also, please explain your comment “I tested the VoodooShield recently. It is a great software, but doesn’t achieve anything that the user, just by implementing couple of practices can do without using any programs whatsoever.”

I am truly baffled by that comment.  You either know how to do things with a computer that I do not know how to do, or you are completely missing tons of key components and mechanisms in VS.

But I do completely agree when you say “Dan Butler has come up with a perfect, smart and neat concept, but the way he has executed this concept is mediocre.”  And to this I say, thank you, and I welcome your suggestions on how we can improve VS!

simmerskool
    Participant
    none
    Great to see you at MT, but I didn’t get to say hi over there as I was not logged in.

So where now is the primary or best location to follow the development, here or MT?  I see many good comments and happiness at MT due to your return.  I was somewhat confused by BLon too, at first he seemed hostile but then seemed to do a 180.  Maybe I don’t push my pc hard enough but I rarely get a popup alert from VS / WLC (or a false+ and when I do it is usually understandable).  On the win7 host, I leave VS always on, and on win10_vm smart mode aggressive.  I have a strong upstream protection, a cisco commercial router and switch, with their threat protection, slows my 400 mbps down to 250, unless I shell out more cash this year as my 3-year licence will be expiring. I guess I get annoyed by the geeks at MT who think “whatever” sucks because it ain’t free.  For what VS offers for $30/yr is a major benefit and cost effective.

/simmerskool

gorblimey
    Participant
    none
    Ummm.  I had a read of Rubenking’s review, and I’m a bit puzzled.  Rubenking writes:

<h2>Playing in the Sandbox</h2>
    VoodooShield includes a local sandbox mode, designed to …

Er… Where is this sandbox? I have v5.60, and this says nothing about it.

OTOH, Win7 also says it has a built-in sandbox which is automatically invoked if 7 feels like it.

Apart from that, I did feel Rubenking posted a far less prejudiced review than I would have expected.

(FWIW, my personal view is that a “traditional/standalone antivirus” is not needed if you have VS, especially if you have a good firewall set to default deny outbound–something Rubenking seems to have forgotten.)

Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step on the path to true panic. [Florence Ambrose, "Freefall"]
    Dan
    Keymaster
    US

simmerskool: Great to see you at MT, but I didn’t get to say hi over there as I was not logged in.

So where now is the primary or best location to follow the development, here or MT?  I see many good comments and happiness at MT due to your return.  I was somewhat confused by BLon too, at first he seemed hostile but then seemed to do a 180.  Maybe I don’t push my pc hard enough but I rarely get a popup alert from VS / WLC (or a false+ and when I do it is usually understandable).  On the win7 host, I leave VS always on, and on win10_vm smart mode aggressive.  I have a strong upstream protection, a cisco commercial router and switch, with their threat protection, slows my 400 mbps down to 250, unless I shell out more cash this year as my 3-year licence will be expiring. I guess I get annoyed by the geeks at MT who think “whatever” sucks because it ain’t free.  For what VS offers for $30/yr is a major benefit and cost effective.

/simmerskool

I will still posts the releases here and on MT.  It is hard to guess what is going to happen in the future, but either way you guys will be able to find me somewhere ;).  Who knows, OS or Sly might ban me from VF, then I will only be at MT ;).

Dan
    Keymaster
    US

gorblimey: Ummm.  I had a read of Rubenking’s review, and I’m a bit puzzled.  Rubenking writes:

<h2>Playing in the Sandbox</h2>
    VoodooShield includes a local sandbox mode, designed to …

Er… Where is this sandbox? I have v5.60, and this says nothing about it.

OTOH, Win7 also says it has a built-in sandbox which is automatically invoked if 7 feels like it.

Apart from that, I did feel Rubenking posted a far less prejudiced review than I would have expected.

(FWIW, my personal view is that a “traditional/standalone antivirus” is not needed if you have VS, especially if you have a good firewall set to default deny outbound–something Rubenking seems to have forgotten.)

The local sandbox button is only displayed with the blocked item is not an installer.  Basically, we do not want an installer to run sandboxed, make changes to the system, then be terminated and not be able to undo the changes.

Yeah, Neil tries to be as fair as possible, but of course not everyone is going to agree with everything a review says.  But I agree that it was a fair and honest review.

Dan
    Keymaster
    US
    Hey Guys, I just wanted to say I hope everyone stays safe and remains strong the next few weeks, it looks like we might have some trying times ahead of us.

I should be able to release the next version in the next few days.  If there are any bugs that I am not aware of, please let me know.  Take care of yourselves, talk to you soon!

VecchioScarpone
    Participant
    AU
    Thanks Dan. You too and everybody else, take care.

"Today is yesterday's future - Carpe diem"

Krusty
    Participant
    AU
    I just did a clean install of 5.56 beta and WLC won’t stop scanning.
    Dan
    Keymaster
    US
    Thank you Krusty for the logs… I think I see what is up.  Stay safe everyone!
    Triple Helix
    Participant
    CA

Krusty: I just did a clean install of 5.56 beta and WLC won’t stop scanning.

Why did you go back to 5.56 when the current one is 5.64?

Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security - VoodooShield Pro - Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete - Glasswire Elite
    Dan
    Keymaster
    US
    Good catch TH!  I checked the logs he sent me and it was 5.64, so it must have been a typo.

How is everything in Canada with the whole covid thing?

Krusty
    Participant
    AU
    D’oh!  Yep, was a typo as @Dan suggested.  Well caught, @Triple Helix !
    Dan
    Keymaster
    US
    Hey guys, there was an update and I think that changed all of the mod accounts to participants.  I went through and fixed the accounts I knew off the top of my head, but if I am missing one please let me know, thank you!
    Triple Helix
    Participant
    CA

Dan: Good catch TH!  I checked the logs he sent me and it was 5.64, so it must have been a typo.

How is everything in Canada with the whole covid thing?

Okay I guess but not as bad as the US. 🙁 Top 15 Countries…

Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security - VoodooShield Pro - Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete - Glasswire Elite
    Baldrick
    Participant
    none
    Hi Dan

How are you? Hope that you are well, & keepiing safe, in these extraordinary times we are all facing.

No issues with VS…just want to reach out & check on you…and wish you the best for the future. I suppose that the plans for Las Vegas have been put back, eh?

Regards, Baldrick

Viewing 15 replies - 826 through 840 (of 952 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.