VoodooShield 5.50

Forums VoodooShield Support Forum VoodooShield Releases VoodooShield 5.50

Viewing 15 replies - 61 through 75 (of 952 total)
  • Replies
    VecchioScarpone
    Participant
    AU
    Dan just for the record, I installed 5.51 over the top of 5.50 and all went smooth, no input needed from me.

"Today is yesterday's future - Carpe diem"

Dan
    Keymaster
    US
    If you guys have any problems, please uninstall VS (and say Yes to the prompt that asks if you want to remove the settings and logs), then reboot the computer and reinstall 5.51 beta.
    Dan
    Keymaster
    US

VecchioScarpone: Dan just for the record, I installed 5.51 over the top of 5.50 and all went smooth, no input needed from me.

If you were running 5.50, I strongly suggest doing a clean install… if not, you will run into problems at some point.

VecchioScarpone
    Participant
    AU
    Done. Thanks.

"Today is yesterday's future - Carpe diem"

Tarnak
    Participant
    I have started afresh, but now I can’t get past a window that gives me a choice of registering, either for the VS Pro version or the VS Free.  I have forgotten where I saved my password for VS.

So, at the moment I can’t get VS to run on my laptop.

P.S.  It was running unregistered earlier, when I first installed it earlier, today.

Tarnak
    Participant

Dan: BTW, if VS asks you to register after reboot, please let me know, I am testing the timeout on the internet connection check.

Also, all you have to do is go to VoodooShield Settings / Register tab and click the Confirm Registration button (until I fix it for good in the next version).

I tried all that, but to no avail. …see  my preceding posts above, and my tribulations regarding registration.

Krusty
    Participant
    AU
    Dan,

I have whitelisted this item 4 times now and WLC keeps saying it isn’t safe.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/3492544106ef206d193c1c5a8470efd2881e1c439abd69eb913db08a356c8bdd/detection

Krusty
    Participant
    AU
    Now on both machines VS / WLC won’t stop scanning… again.
    • This reply was modified 1 year ago by Krusty.
    gorblimey
    Participant
    none

Dan: … we will also have to figure out what to do about temp folders. As we all know, malware loves to hide in these folders, and the problem is so do legitimate apps, and a lot of these legitimate apps do not have a Safe file reputation.

Unfortunately there is no simple answer for temp folders, especially %appdata\local\temp%.  We won’t go into the reasons here, there are too many of them, all bad.  The most useful idea I have seen is to alter the permissions on all %user\temp% so nothing can execute from them and only ever use the Admin account to do Admin-type stuff.  My own ruleset uses the “Block Silently”, but given that so many people have …legitimate (?) softs that operate from %user\temp%, it would be better to force decision-making with a non-silent “Block” action.

It is important to also include c:\Program Data\ in the ruleset, as nothing should ever execute from this location.  Again, lazy devs.

I reiterate my policy of feedback to the publishers involved, criticising their poor security practices, also letting them know I have deleted their products from my box in favour of better-behaved programs.

Talking about restricting oneself to your LUA, I use and recommend SuRun, an adaptation of the *nix Sudo.  This securely elevates privileges in the LUA context rather than the Admin context.  It means I only need the Admin account for system-wide operations.

Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step on the path to true panic. [Florence Ambrose, "Freefall"]
    Telos
    Participant
    none
    Maybe I’ve forgotten how this works, but on 5.53 I get…

Seems pretty safe… eh? So why am I getting this pop-up (I’m assuming a setting changed somewhere).

And with this too… which seldom works for my programs…

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Telos.
    Telos
    Participant
    none
    Another very clean warning (also under D: \Program Files\)

Jasper The Rasper
    Participant
    GB
    I did clean install 5.51 today and VoodooShield is running a lot better but still taking a long time for WhiteList Cloud to analyze everything, no where near as bad as yesterday though.
    Webroot® SecureAnywhere® Complete Beta Tester v9.0.27.55 - VoodooShield v5.78 Beta - Glasswire Firewall Elite  - Microsoft Windows Insider MVP
    Triple Helix
    Participant
    CA
    Do we have to check the Boxes in the Firewall list in WLC?

Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security - VoodooShield Pro - Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete - Glasswire Elite
    gorblimey
    Participant
    none

Telos:… So why am I getting this pop-up (I’m assuming a setting changed somewhere).

I get that every time I upgrade. VS keeps pinging my Lotus Suite on first usage after the upgrade, even though all the programs are in the Whitelist from the scans. I’ve worked out it’s because none of the programs are ever called directly, I always use the Lotus SmartCenter, so all productivity apps are actually children of the SmartCenter, and will be pinged on “first” usage.

Having looked at ruplp.exe, I guess that’s also a child program from Revo (Uninstaller)? I’d give you odds you won’t see the alert again unless Revo does a Zemana and uses “one-time-only” paths. Which would see a quick eviction from my box.

Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step on the path to true panic. [Florence Ambrose, "Freefall"]
Viewing 15 replies - 61 through 75 (of 952 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.