Voodoo won’t let me whitelist a safe file

Forums VoodooShield Support Forum General VoodooShield Discussions Voodoo won’t let me whitelist a safe file

Participant
    US
    I use file “C:\Users\new user\Documents\date.vbs” to auto-insert today’s date into various documents. VoodooShield (VS) pops an alert each & every time I call this file. VS only offers 3 options: Allow, Block, Sandbox. I click “Allow” as fast as I can but it’s often too late — the call to that file is broken somehow.

Even though I always click “Allow” for this file, VS never whitelists this file. I can find NO way to whitelist it manually. Thus, I must have VS inactive before I can use date.vbs even though I am often online when I need to use that file.

By the way, calling the date.vbs file automatically invokes wscript.exe so I fully understand why VS is doing this, but there must be a way to whitelist date.vbs — it’s a totally innocent file.

Is there a way to whitelist this file?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Replies
    gorblimey
    Participant
    none
    Maybe it doesn’t like C:\Users.  Most of the Users folder really is for data even though everybody also chucks executables in there.  Try putting date.vbs into a Program Files folder and testing from there.

I also have a suspicion that .vbs is on VS’ blacklist 🙁  If you are into coding, maybe you could make it a .exe in some version of C ?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by gorblimey.

Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step on the path to true panic. [Florence Ambrose, "Freefall"]
    Dan
    Keymaster
    US
    Very interesting bug, thank you for finding it!  Basically, VS threw an exception when it tried to get the Application Name from the script, since there is no Application Name for scripts.  I am fixing it now and it will be fixed in the next version.
    bellgamin
    Participant
    US
    Wow, Dan — you are amazing! Thanks for the lightning fast solution. I look forward to your next update/masterpiece.

Aloha,
    Bellgamin/Bill

Dan
    Keymaster
    US
    Very cool, thank you!  It should be fixed in this version, if not please let me know!

VS 5.98c beta
    https://voodooshield.com/Download/InstallVoodooShield598cbeta.exe
    SHA-256: 5447a26c592150c0a8ca07b6c135fe6cf94bd6b53175df23db3a281dff572414

smf61
    Participant
    Hi, first post as a newish user of pro.  Having a problem with the new whitelist feature in the beta.

I have a game exe that goes into “analyzing” and is stuck there and while so VS is constantly uploading to the internet.  I assume it is uploading the file (500MB) but as I have only a slow upload bandwidth (1Mbit/s) is takes ages and also swamps the connection slowing everything else down.   There is no option the classify the file as safe or cancel the analysis.

As an aside I tried creating a firewall rule but as soon as I tick the box VS then itself becomes unresponsive for a few minutes.  Happens again when I try clearing it.

Does this make sense?

Dan
    Keymaster
    US
    Yeah, thank you for mentioning this, I have been meaning to do something along these lines.

Now there is a “Maximum file upload size” on the VoodooShield Settings / Basic tab.  Just set that to 25-100MB or whatever and it should all work great, if not please let me know.

bellgamin
    Participant
    US
    As of 5.98c my problem is fixed. Moments ago I updated to 5.98d. VS is running smooth & true, with fair skies, calm seas, and a following wind. Shazam!!!

Thank you Dan. You are a flaming genius but, please, get some rest.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.