Sandboxie with VSPro

Participant
    Is it necessary to protect browsers with Sandboxie , if VSPro already runs on Windows 7 Pro?

If one uses various browsers eg,Slimjet, Vivaldi, Brave, Palemoon, Firefox,etc will VSPro handle multiple browsers well ?

Most of the time I use just Palemoon, but sometimes switch to Slimjet or Vivaldi.

Does VSPro treat a browser as just one more app in the system ?

Skry

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Replies
    gorblimey
    Participant
    none

Skry:
    Does VSPro treat a browser as just one more app in the system ?

Essentially, yes. VS sees two different types of app on any system: those that use the internet and those that don’t. It has a list of popular browsers, email clients and other internet users which you can simply tick off; and you can enter the name of any the list doesn’t include. For example, Dan has not put K-Meleon browser or Gammadyne Clyton email into the pre-selections, but no worries, I just used the GUI to browse to the programs 🙂

And yes, you can use as many internet apps at once as you want: I frequently use all my browsers and my email concurrently. VS doesn’t care, because it’s only looking for non-whitelisted processes.

As for sandboxing, I wouldn’t bother. They are really just a simple Virtual Machine, I’m not sure VS can see inside them. Remember that all security programs do impact on productivity performance, so you need a couple of really good ones with tiny footprints rather than a mob of digital elephants tramping all over. My personal preference is to ditch everything except VS and Windows Firewall, then use Windows Firewall Control to allow everything inbound and only whitelisted outbound. Two security apps working smoothly like Kelpies keeping the mob of sheep behaving themselves.

• This reply was modified 12 months ago by gorblimey.

Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step on the path to true panic. [Florence Ambrose, "Freefall"]
    Skry
    Participant
    Thanks gorblimey, I learn a lot about VS from you

Skry

GrDukeMalden
    Participant
    US
    I actually use Sandboxie with VS 5.5 beta with SecureAPlus Pro.

SB with VS pro is an awesome setup that pretty much nothing can defeat. So long as you use Sandboxie religiously and prevent admin access to all of the sandboxes that you do your daily browsing, I.M.’ing and other stuff like that in.

Any apps that make constant use of an internet connection, make sure admin access is blocked in the sandboxes you use those apps in.

|VPN(paid)| VoodooShield(Paid)| ComodoFW-Beta(Free)| HitManPro.Alert!(Paid)|
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.