Idea: WLC Blocking Mode.

Forums VoodooShield Support Forum General VoodooShield Discussions Idea: WLC Blocking Mode.

Participant
    US
    So I was thinking, now that WLC exists and it’s going to be implemented into the next VS stable build. I was thinking an option could be added for it where you could auto-block all “unsafe” items from being allowed to run while in Off, autopilot and/or On mode.

You would still want a prompt to come up, but for anyone who chooses to use this mode, should it be made, could also choose to lock down the left click of the icon to prevent people from allowing unknown and/or malicious items.

You certainly WOULD NOT want a setting like this to be enabled with the out of the box settings. It would have to be an option that the user chooses to turn on. And you may even want to issue a warning to the user about it.

|VPN(paid)| VoodooShield(Paid)| SecureAPlus(Paid,Pro)| Sandboxie Plus by Xanasoft| HitManPro.Alert!(Paid)|
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Replies
    Dan
    Keymaster
    US
    Thank you for the suggestion!  That sounds kinda similar to the first option on the WhitelistCloud Tab in VS Settings that I added in VS 5.51 or 5.52.  It is a drop down box that contains these options:

Do not Automatically Allow Safe WhitelistCloud items
    Allow Safe WhitelistCloud items when OFF or AutoPilot (this is the default)
    Automatically allow Safe WhitelistCloud items Full-Time

Is this pretty much what you are talking about?

I was not totally happy with the wording of these 3 options, so if anyone has any suggestions that would be really cool.

Also, we are going to have to figure out the defaults for all of the new WLC options.  For example, I think most people do not need the WLC Icon, and a lot of people will not need the firewall component.  The default settings for SMB / Enterprise are totally obvious since it will be mainly managed from the Web Management Console, but for home users it is a little tricky.

I was even thinking about replacing the Initial Mode window that is shown on first run (attached) with something somewhat similar, but it would instead query about the user skill level…

Novice | Intermediate | Advanced | Corporate / Biz

So then from there we can set the initial mode and tweak the settings so it is automatically customized for the user based on computer skill level.  We could also add a drop down in the settings so they can change this later if they want.

Attachments:
    VecchioScarpone
    Participant
    AU
    Which of these 2 setting would you recommend on Always On/Safe Mode:

or would you keep it:

"Today is yesterday's future"

GrDukeMalden
    Participant
    US
    I was thinking of an option that would ALWAYS auto-block anything rated as “not safe” unless the user makes the active decision to whitelist the unknown item.

Again, this would need to be something the user chooses to turn on and never to be enabled with the out of the box settings.

This would still need to produce a balloon and prompt, but to prevent another user from allowing an unknown item, you could just lock the left click of the shield.

|VPN(paid)| VoodooShield(Paid)| SecureAPlus(Paid,Pro)| Sandboxie Plus by Xanasoft| HitManPro.Alert!(Paid)|
    gorblimey
    Participant
    none
    I think there are many peeps like myself using Windows Firewall with either WFC or Glasswire.  All we lack is the scan function, but…

• That doesn’t matter as most of us have already decided which apps can have permission to phone home, and no amount of “Safe” results will change that decision.
    • And in any case, the WFC “basic” list is very abbreviated, just enough to keep Windows connected and no more.

So an option to not install WLC may be well received, as keeping it would be needless duplication.

Another thing to consider is that some routers (my ASUS for example) will “disconnect” while updating with new or extended settings, e.g.: adding a new device to the DHCP list.  This always causes a “firewall panic” when WFC thinks that all the rules have been reset and wants to “fix” the problem :@  I have no good suggestions for resolving this 🙁

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by gorblimey.

Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step on the path to true panic. [Florence Ambrose, "Freefall"]
    simmerskool
    Participant
    none
    ? just uncheck the WLC setting “create…firewall rules.”  I use it that way on one pc with 3d-party firewall, and let it create rules on another pc.  I like seeing the white safe icon in systray.
    Gandalf
    Participant
    NL
    Currently very happy with VoodooShield in AutoPilot mode with WhitelistCloud integrated on the setting “Allow Safe WhitelistCloud items when OFF or AutoPilot”. This way VoodooShield is virtually silent while still offering additional protection to my realtime antivirus. What mode would that be? Novice?
    Krusty
    Participant
    AU

Gandalf: Currently very happy with VoodooShield in AutoPilot mode with WhitelistCloud integrated on the setting “Allow Safe WhitelistCloud items when OFF or AutoPilot”. This way VoodooShield is virtually silent while still offering additional protection to my realtime antivirus. What mode would that be? Novice?

Me too!

GrDukeMalden
    Participant
    US

VecchioScarpone: Which of these 2 setting would you recommend on Always On/Safe Mode:

or would you keep it:

Auto allow “safe” items full time is what I do.

VecchioScarpone
    Participant
    AU
    @GrDukeMalden:

“Auto allow “safe” items full time is what I do.”

Appreciated that Duke. Thanks.

"Today is yesterday's future"

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.