Forced Upgrade Notification on v4.70

Forums VoodooShield Support Forum General VoodooShield Discussions Forced Upgrade Notification on v4.70

Participant
    none
    Starting around New Year, may have been very late December, I started getting a forced upgrade notice (attached).  This has never happened before.

If I answered “No”, VS was shut down, although the Service was left running.  If I simply ignored the notice, I could work freely.  I tried uninstalling and then a clean reinstall, but no good.

About this time, I needed to upgrade my Debit Card, but a bank stuffup with Australia Post (they should never have used that!) meant I had nothing to make my renewal with as AP lost the card in transit for two whole weeks, over Christmas.  But using the Free Version got me through AND killed the upgrade notice.

However, now I have a replacement Card and renewed my Registration, the notice has returned.

I have made a conscious decision to stay with the simple and proven v4.70, it works brilliantly except a reluctance to surface on the first call of the session.  (I always shut down if I’m away from the house for a long period.)  But after the first call, it surfaces very rapidly.  This is not a problem, as I don’t play with it very much, just a slight annoyance when I need to check a setting for reference when I spread the Gospel.

I don’t want to upgrade.  I have never favoured “the cloud”, and if my software set is corrupt then my box has been dirty since Adam was a boy and several Anti-virus vendors have missed their targets.  4.7 does what it says on the box, quietly and precisely.

What do we need to do to lose the Notice?

Attachments:

Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step on the path to true panic. [Florence Ambrose, "Freefall"]
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Replies
    Krusty
    Participant
    AU
    In VS 5.60 Settings > Basic, there is an option to “Notify me when a new version of VoodooShield is released”.  Doesn’t VS 4.70 have that option you can disable?
    Dan
    Keymaster
    US
    Sorry, but we have to expire old versions of VS at some point, otherwise it can cause havoc on our servers if we make changes, and it also makes us wait to update certain things.
    gorblimey
    Participant
    none
    @Krusty – thanks for what is actually a sensible question rather than beating me over the head with the need for continuous upgrading 🙂

Yes, 4.7 does have a check-box for update notification, but see Dan’s answer.

@Dan
    – OK, I understand.  I’ll see how I can “liten” up version 5.  I’ve always been of the opinion that your original vision was not only correct, but also totally sufficient.  If only the whitelist is allowed to operate, then all you need is to keep an eye on the “parentage” of a command-line and you’re good to travel.  And yes, tighten up when ‘net-facing programs are running so you can catch scripts etc.

I’ve got a conundrum for you in a separate post 🙂

Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step on the path to true panic. [Florence Ambrose, "Freefall"]
    Gandalf
    Participant
    NL
    You don’t have to enable WLC. It’s an option on the initial setup and can also be disabled in the settings later on if you wish.
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.