Brave exe require whitelisting with each new update.

Forums WhitelistCloud Support Forum General WhitelistCloud Discussions Brave exe require whitelisting with each new update.

• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Dan.
    Participant
    AU
    Dan,

On the occasion of VoodooShield 5.3 getting WC. Just a reminder as per your request, that WC still ask for withelist brave.exe with each update.

I would be interested to know if anybody else has the same issue.

Cheers.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Replies
    SudoJudo
    none

VecchioScarpone: Dan,

On the occasion of VoodooShield 5.3 getting WC. Just a reminder as per your request, that WC still ask for withelist brave.exe with each update.

I would be interested to know if anybody else has the same issue.

Cheers.

Indeed.  I also noted, Brave Setup also requires whitelisting each time it executes. Dan will weigh in for sure, but I think it could be because the Setup.exe is unsigned, and where it is executing from is a suspicious location.

VecchioScarpone
    Participant
    AU
    @slyguy, thanks. Good to know, things often only happen to me as I tend to wrongly tweak my settings.

You’re probably right. It happened once with Edge Beta too, but just once. Brave setup.exe always.

Dan is quite busy and asked me to remind him, so I took the opportunity.

Dan
    Keymaster
    US
    Yeah, Sly is right, to test I just installed Brave and WC blocked “C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp\CR_15FB5.tmp” because it was in a dangerous location and was not signed.  Usually I can find a way to fix stuff like this and to improve usability in VS and WC, but in this case there is very little I can do, sorry about that!
    VecchioScarpone
    Participant
    AU
    Dan

No worries mate. I can live with it.

gorblimey
    Participant
    none

Dan:
    “C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp\CR_15FB5.tmp”

This is a classic example of why you need VS. Appdata\Local\Tmp is a favourite blackhat target because so many users do not know where or what it is. If you’re working in Admin… 🙁 In addition, many lazy non-security-oriented software authors make their installers execute from there. With VS you can lock that folder tighter than a snare-drum, although you may need to choose better softs that don’t want to use it as a staging post.

And I bet that .tmp file never has the same name again.

Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step on the path to true panic. [Florence Ambrose, "Freefall"]
    djg05
    Participant
    none
    I haven’t found that starting Brave, but WC does flag up the setup file under users etc. so I deleted that file. Will see what happens.

Dan
    Keymaster
    US
    Yeah, you might want to create a rule for Brave… then again, once I am finished with VS’s WLC implantation, I would be shocked if it blocks these updates.  Well, it will block the update for the first unlucky person who gets the update, but from then on, all VS users will have the file auto allowed by WLC.  Thank you!
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.